Monday, February 27, 2012

Healthy Obsessions are Good for the Soul

My Mayer tattoo.
 Lyrics to "Perfectly Lonely"
I am a SUPERFAN.

Sounds like I should be in an AA meeting or something, right.

But I have been a superfan of various musicians, artists, and authors for a very long time.

Jackie Collins, E. Lynn Harris, John Mayer...the list is LONG people.

But what exactly is a SUPERFAN?

My definition may be different from yours.  You might think "crazy, obsessed, stalker" but NOOOO!  That is not me.

I've never stalked anyone in my life.  Not even on Twitter or Facebook.

but whether it's listening to your favorite artist and building relationships with the people who love him/her/them too or reading every book that your favorite writer puts out over and over,

IT'S OKAY.

Healthy obsessions make us feel better.  It's fun to get on Twitter or Facebook or tumblr and talk about it with your friends.

Don't be ashamed if you're obsessed with the Twilight series.  Let your hair down and fangirl it out with the rest of them.

Because at the end of the day, the fandom that you belong to starts to feel like family.  Like people you care about.

And if you're lucky like me,  you may develop friendships with people that you'd never have met in your every day life.

I met my best friend through the John Mayer Fandom.  I love this woman like a sister and I can't imagine life without her.

See how that works?

No comments:

Post a Comment