Monday, September 5, 2011

My Ridiculous Writing Process

Every writer is different.  We may write the same genres but each one of us has a different writing style and most importantly, our own unique writing process.

It's important for me to talk about my writing process so my friends on Facebook and Twitter understand when I freak out sometimes.

Well, all the time.

There are 3 things I must have in order to successfully write and quite a few optional things that are just fun to have.

1 - McKenzie and I must be on good speaking terms.
If you follow me on Twitter, then you know all about McKenzie.  She is my muse.  She has the tendency to depart on long vacays often.  Shoe shopping, coffee breaks, and Sex and the City marathons are her thing.  We have a love/hate relationship.

2- iTunes must be fully functioning
I cannot write without music.  I've tried. It doesn't work.

3- Sharpies
Ultra fine and multi-colored. Can't write with a plain Bic.  I used to be able to but then I discovered Ultra Fine Sharpies and my writing process was forever changed.

Yes, I know. #nerdalert

Those are the 3 things that I must have to even start writing.  And because I'm #easilydistracted, my dog has to be in another room and my cell phone must be in another part of the house as well.

Why?



Can you say Twitter? Wait, come back.  Don't check your Twitter page now!

As much as I like love to tweet with my tweeps, I am so easily distracted that it feels like I have adult ADHD #mightneedtogetthatcheckedout

Therefore, I can't see my Blackberry or I will be up all night trying to meet my wordcount goal.

The process is simple actually.  I write every word, every outline...everything in longhand on legal pads and then I transfer it to OneNote (love love love OneNote).  Unless I'm already online doing research then I just copy & paste into OneNote.

When it's time to actually write, every chapter is on paper and then Word.  There's a problem with that (and the reason why I freak out).

The magic actually happens as I'm transferring to Word. I get in a zone and become more creative and the words flow so well...

The story elements go deeper...

Dialogue becomes better...

It's truly magical.

Until my computer does what it did this weekend and crashes. *cue complete emotional breakdown*.

All that magic is gone and what's left is the shell of the chapter which now I have to write all over again and TRY to capture that.

Not at all fun.

I'd be really interested in knowing other people's process.  #sharewithme

No comments:

Post a Comment